We need to hire a birth trauma lawyer to file a lawsuit. What qualifications and things should we seek in a lawyer?

My sister, who lives in Texas, needs to find a lawyer to handle her birth trauma/injury lawsuit. Her son suffered trauma during delivery leading to multiple injuries. What kind of qualifications should the lawyer have? What questions should my sister ask the lawyer before hiring him/her?


Answers (1)

Medical malpractice suits can be very expensive to pursue. Since technical skills are involved in presenting a malpractice claim, an inexperienced lawyer's errors or mistakes could result in a dismissal or lost case.

Many states have specialization programs that certify lawyers as specialists in certain types of law. One place for your sister to begin her search for a birth trauma lawyer is the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. There are specializations in Personal Injury Trial Law (medical malpractice) and Health Law.

Some of the qualifications needed by the lawyers in order to be certified include:

  • At least 5 years of being licensed;
  • Extensive experience in the specialized area;
  • Continuing legal education in order to keep up to date;
  • The passing of a 6-hour exam.

Your sister should look for a lawyer that specializes in the particular injuries that her son suffers from. Other information that she should find out from the lawyer includes: the fee arrangement; the estimated cost and length of a trial; and information she needs to provide to the lawyer in order to have a thorough evaluation of her case.

Contact A Lawyer

4people found this useful

(10 Votes)

Not sure where to start? Use this form to contact an experienced attorney. They will provide a free consultation and assist you with choosing the right path for your case.

Talk to a Lawyer


Describe Your Case

Tell us more about your case so that we can show you lawyers that serve your area.

Please Log in to answer questions.

This site does not provide legal advice and users of this site should not interpret any of the information presented here as legal advice. The information provided merely conveys general information related to commonly asked legal questions. We are not a law firm and the employees responding to questions are not acting as your legal attorney. You should ultimately consult with a Lawyer for your case.